This is a hearty side salad to pair with a steak and potatoes or a meal on it’s own with a slice of crusty bread. This recipe is adapted from Williams-Sonoma “Paris” Cookbook.
For the salad:
- 1 lb of beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 walnut halves and pieces
- 1/2 lb spinach
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly and pulled apart
- 6 oz blue cheese (gorgonzola, Roquefort, or Blue Cheese) , crumbled
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp walnut oil (or add additonal olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and few grounds of pepper
Set oven to 400 degrees. Place the beets on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil and salt. Roast for 35-40 minutes. Pierce with a fork to ensure that they are tender. Allow to cool slightly. Add all the ingredients of the vinaigrette together and whisk or shake in a spill proof container, then set aside. Add spinach to a large salad bowl. Add cheese, walnuts, onions, and beets to the bowl and then pour 1/2 of the vinaigrette on top. Mix well and add more dressing as preferred. Serve immediately.